Senior Secondary Certificate. Dirkie Uys High School, Moorreesburg, 1972
BA (FA)(Graphic Design). US, 1977.
Diploma in Tertiary Education (DTE). UNISA, 1981.
M.Ed (Didactics). UNISA, 1982.
• Research topic: Graphic icons in tertiary education.
D.Ed (Didactics). US, 1989.
• Research topic: Media-enhanced learning in medical education.
Ph.D (Didactics). US, 1997.
• Research topic: Appropriate communication for health education in developing communities.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT SHORT COURSES
• Departmental Leadership, 1987.
• Multimedia Learning Technologies, 1990.
• Designing Open Learning Materials, 1996.
• Promoting Independent Study through Self-instructional Print Media, 1998.
• Conduct Outcomes-based Assessment, 2003. (Assessor Registration No AHU20630).
• Conduct Moderation of Outcomes-based Assessment, 2004 (Moderator Registration No MHU20630).
• Evaluating Learning Program Submissions for CHE Accreditation, 2005.
• Quality Management Learning Systems, 2007.
RECTOR and PART-TIME LECTURER, Prestige Academy (2004 to date)
Modules responsible for teaching:
• Research Methodology
• Applied Research (Supervision)
• Contextual InfoDesign
• Contemporary Local VisCom
• Corporate Event Management (Adventure Teambuilding & Adventure Programme Design).
ASSESSOR, AIDS Risk Management in the Workplace. ICG (2004 to date).
FREELANCE CONSULTANT, Health promotion, communication and education (2000 -2003).
PART-TIME LECTURER, Stellenbosch University
• Health Promotion (MBChB, 1988-2011; MPhil in Rehabilitation Studies, 2008 – 2011).
• Didactics (Postgraduate Diploma in Nursing Education, 1986 to date).
• Educational Technology (MPhil in Higher Education, 1986-2012).
• Health Education (BSc Dietetics, 1986-2010).
SENIOR EDUCATIONAL TECHNOLOGY ADVISOR, Centre for University Education (Uni-Ed), US (1998-2000).
MEDIA DIRECTOR, Bureau for Medical and Dental Education (BMDE), US (1986-1997).
SENIOR INSTRUCTIONAL DEVELOPMENT OFFICER, Bureau for Staff Development, Port Elizabeth Technikon (now NMMU) (1984-1985).
LECTURER/SENIOR LECTURER: Graphic Design & Photography, Free State Technikon (now CUT)(1981-1983).
GRAPHIC DESIGNER, Bureau for Medical and Dental Education (BMDE), US (1978-1980).
CURRENT RESPONSIBILITIES AND ASSOCIATED COMPETENCIES
• Curriculum/learning program design and accreditation (60% of workload).
• Quality assurance, quality reviews/audits and improvement (30% of workload).
• Academic planning for programme delivery based on the Institutional Teaching-Learning Policy and curriculum delivery frameworks (Meso and Micro level).
• Inputs in strategic business planning.
• Academic staff development.
• Assessor and moderator in various programme modules.
• Assessor and moderator training.
• Annual staff performance appraisal.
• Policy writing and review.
• Recognition of Prior Learning and Credit Transfer.
• Chair of institutional committees.
• Student leadership development
• SRC strategic planning and teambuilding.
• Supervising research assignments in final year degree programmes.
• Mentoring of novice researchers.
• Part-timer lecturer in various disciplines and programs (undergraduate and postgraduate).
• External examiner for Masters and PhD students at various universities.
• Writing and quality assurance of course and study guides
• Alumni survey.
POSTGRADUATE SUPERVISION AND EXAMINER
STUDY LEADER and CO-STUDY SUPERVISOR for a number of Masters and PhD candidates at
• Faculty of Education, US
• Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, US
• Internal and External Examiner for Masters and PhD candidates, US, UCT, CUT, TUT, UKZN since 2000.
MANUSCRIPT REFEREE, Health SA/Gesondheid.
MEMBER OF AUDIT PANEL, media support services at Cape Technikon (1989).
MEMBER OF AUDIT PANEL, programme delivery at a private training provider, on behalf of US Nursing Division (2012)
International Union of Health Education and Promotion (IUHPE).
International Visual Literacy Association (IVLA), 1998-2003.
SAARDHE (the South African Assoc for Research and Development in Higher Education), 1986-2003.
• Fifteen papers and poster presentations at national and international conferences
PUBLICATIONS AND OTHER PROJECTS
• Ten articles in scientific journals
• MEDIAMED 2000. Selected Papers and Group Discussion Reports. Conference Proceedings: Media in Medical, Dental and Community Health Education for the Year 2000. BMDE 1989, University of Stellenbosch
• Satelliet-gebaseerde Interaktiewe Televisie in Afstandsonderwys. Handleiding vir dosente. Division for University Education, University of Stellenbosch (1998).
• Author of learning support materials (grade 4-9) for the Life Orientation Curriculum in South Africa (Extreme Life Programme by Protea Publishers).
• Author and scriptwriter of the AIDSolutions in Business program, INTEC College.
• Author of Quality Management Policy for Pearson Achievement Education Solutions (PEAS).
• HIV/AIDS Policy for Western Cape Education Department
• Research Supervision Guide, Prestige Academy
• Learning Programme Design Guide, Prestige Academy
• Main author of textbook on Technology-mediated Health Sciences Education (in print).
• Author of textbook on learning enhancement and student success in process.
Director, Lifeskills 2000 and Beyond (Section 21 Company) (2000-2006).
Facilitator, Youth Leadership Development Programme. Saxonsea Primary School, Atlantis (2002).